Newham Council fined for serious fire safety breach on DofE expedition

Newham Borough Council has been fined for a serious safety breach after a 15 year-old girl was engulfed in a fireball from a cooking stove during a school camping expedition.

Details of the incident and the HSE prosecution are available online and should be read by all those responsible for Duke of Edinburgh’s Award expeditions and other ventures which involve using camping stoves.

Check your procedures – recommended that sensible risk management procedures are followed to reduce the risk of such incidents. Risk assessment, training, supervision, sensible storage of fuel using containers with safety cut-off valves stored separately from any ignition sources, are all important safety measures.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Adventure, Reports, Safety. Bookmark the permalink.